Pool tips from The Pool Man
Come back here often for hints and tips on looking after your swimming pool and spa pool.
Hints about adding swimming pool chemicals to your pool
Here are a few hints for adding chemicals to your pool:
- All chemical additions should be made while the pool pump is running so the chemicals mix well and are evenly distributed through your pool.
- Cyanuric Acid is like a sunscreen to your pool water- it prevents UV rays from reducing chlorine levels.
- Chlorine and pH levels are the most important levels in your pool water. For residential pools these should be for chlorine 1-5ppm and for pH 7.2-7.4
- Shock dosing your pool every fortnight with chlorine prevents algae growth
- Pool leaks can be checked by putting a bucket of water next to the pool and comparing the two levels over a period of 24-48 hours
- Filtration systems should run approximately 4 hours a day in winter and 8 hours in the warmer summer months
- Alkalinity (sodium bicarbonate) can be added to your skimmer with the pump running as it mixes well and cleans the equipment at the same time
- Miraclear tabs are a quick way to clear a cloudy pool
- Salt chlorinators are the most efficient and cheapest way of sanitizing your pool- talk to us about fitting one to your pool
- Pool covers are designed to keep the heat in, not keep the leaves out, so you’ll still have to keep the scoop handy